'Ox' by Ai Weiwei, 2021
From the artist's 'Zodiac Logo' series with design brand Rome Pays Off.
3 x 3.5 x 3.5 Inches (candle)
3.5 x 3.8 x 3.5 Inches (box)
Glass candle in Santalum (amber, sandalwood, cardamom).
Limited Edition (Sold Out).
Plate-signed by the artist on candle and box.
Comes new in original branded box.
ABOUT THE ART
The Rome Pays Off x Ai Weiwei Zodiac "Ox" candle is hand-poured into an opaque white glass vessel and features the Santalum fragrance. This formula includes organic sandalwood essential oil that is harvested in Hawaii using sustainable practices. The candle arrives in an attractive gift box.
Since the original artwork is composed of Legos, the reproduction of the artwork has an intentional pixilated look.
- Fragrance is a complex array of scent notes, most notably sandalwood, amber, and cardamom
- 8-ounce candle in an opaque white vessel
- All natural wax made from sustainably harvested, food-grade coconut oil
- Featuring Ai Weiwei’s Ox as well as the corresponding years under the Ox Chinese zodiac on the candle vessel as well as the gift box
- Made in the USA by Barratt Riley & Co.
- Burn time is approximately 60–70 hours
About the artwork: The two-dimensional Ox is from Ai Weiwei's Zodiac Lego series, a group of works created from thousands of LEGO bricks that represents each of the 12 animals in the cycle of the Chinese zodiac.
Given his remarkable life and work, Ai Weiwei (b. 1957, Beijing) stands as a unique international figure. He is both one of the most celebrated contemporary artists and one of the world’s most prominent and respected human rights activists. The exhibition draws on many aspects of his career as a visual artist and architect, and is informed by both his own life experience and the plight of displaced people.
In 2016, Ai and his film team traveled to 23 countries and 40+ refugee camps while filming his documentary feature, Human Flow.